I was inspired by The Roasted Root to make something sweet for a leisurely morning in and came across her recipe for Paleo Banana Bread. I’ve always been a huge fan of banana bread, and actually like gluten-free/paleo versions BETTER than the original. The flavor of the almond flour adds an extra umph to this dense little bread machine.
My attempt came out pretty moist, which she did warn about, but I enjoyed every bite of it.
In making the recipe I only had two (personal) edits: one was adding a small scoop of my favorite vanilla protein powder to the mix. By doing so I was now able to view the bread as protein bar! SCORE. It also helped make the texture more “cake-y”. Also, because I didn’t add in nuts or chocolate chips, I slathered on a big spoonful of almond butter and topped with a sprinkle of celtic sea salt (as I’m salt obsessed, unfortunately/fortunately).
Head over to The Roasted Root for the original recipe here. Otherwise, scroll down to see it below!
Paleo Banana Bread
What You’ll Need (recipe courtesy of The Roasted Root):
- 3 RIPE bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 scoop of vanilla protein (preferably vegan)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 cups of your fav almond flour, I like Bob’s Red Mill
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- Sprinkle of celtic sea salt and almond butter
What You’ll Do:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Using coconut oil, lightly oil a load ban
- In a mixing bowl, mash the ripe bananas; stir in eggs, vanilla extract, and pure maple syrup
- In a separate bow, stir almond meal, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and protein powder
- Pour the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients and stir to combine
- Pour batter into loaf and spread out evening
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes
- Allow bread to cool for 30 minutes (this will help it from crumbling!) before cutting it into thick slices
- To each piece, slab on some almond butter and sprinkle with celtic sea salt