I adopted this rule from Tim Ferriss of Four Hour Body and believe it can be applied to all aspects of your life, not just eating. But since we ARE talking about eating, here’s the breakdown: I spend 80 percent of my week eating foods that make me feel good and energized. With that said, I am not a robot. Life (cough, cough… New York City) is constantly throwing me curve balls (i.e. Cronuts, Ramen Burgers, Bacon Candy). SO I treat myself the other 20 percent of the time. I have a cheat day. Or a cheat meal. Or even just a cheat item. I don’t regret it. I accept it. I eat it. And I ENJOY IT. And then, I get back to the grind.
Whenever I have the opportunity, I try to eat organic, whole, and unprocessed (or at least minimally processed) foods. I like my meat grass-fed. I like my pink ladies sans pesticides. I like my nuts raw. It. Just. Makes. You. Feel. Better.
Did Somebody Say Steak?
Yes – I did. Steak. Yum. I’m a big, BIG meat eater. I’ve trained my body to run on protein and like to include some form of it in practically every meal. With that said, it’s always important to vary your diet – so I mix-up my proteins often. Work to find protein based foods that are grass-fed, lean, and fulfilling.
To Gluten or Not to Gluten.
I rarely eat gluten. Or dairy for that matter. You have to pick you battles, people. I’d rather indulge in a bowl of salty potato chips or a glass of red wine over a piece of bread or cheese any day. (Full disclosure – I actually hate cheese – weird, I know.)
I love vegetables. I love incorporating something green in every one of meals. When I’m in a pinch, I’ll squeeze (pun intended) in a green juice if I feel my body is feeling deprived from my plant-based friends.
Good Morning Carbs!
I try to concentrate the majority of my carb intake to the mornings (and more specifically on mornings before highly caloric-burning workouts). Here’s when I’ll have my rice cakes with coconut oil, g-free avocado toast and overnight oats. Not only are you creating long lasting energy for the day, your body has more time to properly digest these types of sugars.
Work(out) Hard, Eat Hard
This may sound obvious – but I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen people eat the wrong “healthy” things at the the wrong time. I’m an advocate for healthy fats and proteins – but your body works with them differently throughout the day, especially depending on the amount of activity you’ve exerted. What does this mean? The harder you work, the more dense the food you eat can be. On lighter workout days, I like to keep my carb and fat intake on the lower end of the scale.
Fasting – it’s back! (Kind of)
Okay, this is actually a lot easier than it sounds. I like to fast every day, for at least ten to twelve hours. I know what you’re thinking: ‘what AMAZING willpower you have!’. Well, while I appreciate your praise, the truth is I do most of this fasting while I’m unconscious – a.k.a. asleep. I try to time my meals to allow twelve hours to pass between the last bite at dinner and the first bite at breakfast. It’s literally like giving your body a mini-detox every night. How very Gwyneth of you!
Most importantly, eat true to who you are, what you like, and what you feel your body needs. Every ‘body’ is different – and you’re the one who has to deal with your food sweats and dessert dreams. I don’t believe in deprivation – so if you want something, have it. As they say, life is all about balance.