Cooking healthy is all about preparation. I try to do one large grocery run per week to get the essentials and cook a few side dishes that can be enjoyed throughout the week. My girlfriend Emmy was the inspiration for this idea as she always have vats and vats of various side dishes at the ready.
One of my favorite things she makes is a version of what I call “red, green & quinoa”. Why do I love it? Because it’s super easy to make and store. It compliments everything from steak to fish to grilled veggies. PLUS it’s even good on it’s own!
This grain in particularly is great vegetarian way to get your protein. Keep in mind, however, that it is a relatively fast-moving carb so it’s best to accompanying it with crunchy vegetable to help slow it down as you digest.
What You’ll Need:
- One lemon
- Batch of green onions, chopped
- ½ cup of pomegranate seeds (I like to buy the ones from Trade Joe’s)
- For the dressing:
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon of mustard
- ½ tablespoon of EVOO
What You’ll Do:
- Cook quinoa following directions on bag/box (general rule is boiling 2 cups of water to 1 cup of quinoa, simmer and cook until quinoa is fluffy)
- Add green onions and pomegranate seeds
- Whisk wet ingredients together and pour over quinoa
- Add S&P, fluff mixture together with fork